Whisper of the Heart
Whisper of the Heart is a 1995 anime film. It was written by Hayao Miyazaki, directed by Yoshifumi Kondo, musically composed by Yuji Nomi, filmed by Atsushi Okui, edited by Takeshi Seyama, distributed by Toho, produced by Studio Ghibli and Toshio Suzuki, starred Yoko Honna, Issei Takahashi, Takashi Tachibana, Shigeru Muroi, Shigeru Tsuyuguchi, and Keiju Kobayashi, and is based on a manga of the same name by Aoi Hiiragi.
The film follows Shizuku, an inquisitive young girl and a voracious reader, who longs to be a writer when she grows up. One day she notices that all of her library books have previously been taken out by one Seiji Amasawa. Amid chasing after a large cat, befriending an eccentric antique dealer and writing her first novel, Shizuku aims to find this mysterious boy who may well be her soul mate.
Why It Rocks
- This is a great film to start out with for someone who is just getting into Studio Ghibli due to how subtly it tells its story, which is unusual for Hayao Miyazaki (even though he didn't direct this movie).
- Amazing animation.
- While the film does add muted fantasy elements, it doesn't become a straight up fantasy adventure story, and instead goes full throttle with the coming of age themes that it promises early on.
- Good voice acting in both sub and dub.
- Both of our lead characters, Shizuku Tsukishima and Seiji Amasawa, are great. Their arcs are engaging, they're interesting, and their growing relationship has lots of chemistry.
- Shizuku and Seiji are also very relatable as teens trying to figure out what they want to do in life.
- Excellent soundtrack, one of the best of any Studo Ghibli film. Take Me Home is the best standout track, it's extremely emotionally impactful.
- Great supporting cast which helps to add to the complexity of the main characters, especially Seiji's grandfather.
Whisper of the Heart has a 94% critic rating and a 90% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes, a 3.9/5 on Letterboxd, an 8/10 on the International Movie Database (IMDB), an 8.3/10 on MyAnimeList, an 82.65% user approval rating on Kitsu, and a 4/5 on AnimePlanet.
- Whisper of the Heart Review (with Special Guest MemoryNK)
- Whisper of the Heart Ghibli Slice of Life MAGIC! - Anime Review 142
- BS Anime Reviews Whisper of the Heart