Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is a 2010 action comedy film co-written, produced and directed by Edgar Wright, based on the graphic novel series Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley. It stars Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim, a slacker musician who must battle the seven evil exes of his newest girlfriend Ramona Flowers.
A film adaptation of the comics was proposed following the release of the first volume. Wright became attached to the project, and filming began in March 2009 in Toronto. The film premiered after a panel discussion at the San Diego Comic-Con International on July 22, 2010, and received a wide release in North America on August 13, 2010.
Why It Rocks
- This movie is perfect for anyone who likes video games and rock and roll, in which this movie combines the two into one awesome smash-fest.
- Micheal Cera does a great job performing as Scott Pilgrim.
Pan's Labyrinth (Spanish: El laberinto del fauno, lit. The Labyrinth of the Faun) is a 2006 Spanish dark fantasy drama film written and directed by Guillermo del Toro and starring Ivana Baquero, Sergi López, Maribel Verdú, Doug Jones, and Ariadna Gil.
It's 1944 and the Allies have invaded Nazi-held Europe. In Spain, a troop of soldiers are sent to a remote forest to flush out the rebels. They are led by Capitan Vidal, a murdering sadist, and with him are his new wife Carmen and her daughter from a previous marriage, 11-year-old Ofelia. Ofelia witnesses her stepfather's sadistic brutality and is drawn into Pan's Labyrinth, a magical world of mythical beings.
Why It Rocks
- The film can be considered by many to be a horror version of Alice in Wonderland, due to its similar themes. It also has similar scenes too, such as when Ofelia follows a bug into a labyrinth.
- It's known for having very graphic violence, which is what makes the movie so captivating. The monsters are also very scary to look at.
- BRILLIANT acting. The little girl carries the whole movie on her shoulders with her amazing performance as Ofelia.
- Doug Jones was casted as Fraun, despite being an American actor. Although, he manages to have a special talent for speaking Spanish. Basically, it's an American actor that can speak Spanish in a Spanish movie! How cool is that?
- Dull CGI, which is a common problem within Del Toro's films.
Guillermo del Toro
Guillermo del Toro Gómez (Spanish: [ɡiˈʝeɾmo ðel ˈtoɾo]; born October 9, 1964) is a Mexican filmmaker, author, actor, and former special effects makeup artist.
Why He Rocks
- He directed many of the films that went on to become on cult classics such as Hellboy and its sequel, Pan's Labyrinth, and Pacific Rim.
- He does monster movies right. This is because he loves monsters.
- Very good friends with Ron Perlman and Doug Jones.
- He has done comic book adaptions right, as well. Hellboy would be a fine example.
- Much like Brad Bird, he stated that PG-rated kids films containing mild language is a false way to look at mediumism.
- Even though most of his films are good, they all have one common problem. The CGI. It's incredibly dull, and quickly becomes dated later on.