The Nutty Professor (1963)
|This article is about the 1963 Jerry Lewis Film. You may be looking for the 1996 Eddie Murphy Remake with the same name.|
The Nutty Professor is a 1963 science-fiction, romance film and a comedic parody of the famous horror novel, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
To improve his social life, a nerdish professor drinks a potion that temporarily turns him into the handsome, but obnoxious, Buddy Love.
Why It Rocks
- The idea of a man turning from a goofy, nerdy scientist into a handsome, arrogant man is pretty original.
- The writing for the film is spectacular.
- The acting is wonderful, especially from Jerry Lewis as Professor Julius Kelp and Buddy Love.
- An amazing parody take on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
- Many memorable and funny moments, especially Julius’ failed attempts with experiments.
- Likable and interesting characters, especially the main character, Professor Julius, his goofy behavior and probably inspired Dr. Fink from The Simpson’s.
- The film’s pacing is terrific.
- Eddie Murphy’s remake/take on the film is also hilarious.
- A small plot-hole like when Julius first drinks the potion and turns into a monster, but later he doesn’t and always turns into Buddy Love is kinda confusing.
- The movie can feel slightly dated at times.