The Cat Returns
The Cat Returns is a 2002 fantasy, drama, coming of age anime film. It was directed by HIroyuki Morita, written by Reiko Yoshoda, musically composed by Yuji Nomi, cinematography by Kentaro Takahashi, edited by Megumi Uchida, distributed by Toho, produced by Toshio Suzuki, Nozomu Takahashi, and Studio Ghibli, and starred Chizuru Ikewaki, Yoshihiko Hakamada, Tetsu Watanabe, Yosuke Saito, Aki Maeda, and Tetsuro Tamba. It was also based on a manga of the same name written by Aoi Hiiragi, the creation of which was commissioned by the creators of the film.
Why It Rocks
- Great soundtrack.
- This is one of the few Studio Ghibli films written and directed by people whose not one of the main two, those being Hayao Miyzaki and Isao Takahata.
- Excellent animation.
- It's the only Studio Ghibli film which includes both normal humans and anthropomorphic animals, whereas most of their filmography has either all anthropomorphic animals or both normal humans and normal animals.
- Good voice acting in both sub and dub.
- This movie acts as sort of a spinoff of one of Studio Ghibli's previous films, Whisper of the Heart, because two minor characters in that movie, the Baron and Muta, have more prominent roles here.
- Appealing character designs.
- This is probably one of the most ridiculous Studio Ghibli Films, both story and character wise, ever created.
- Fun, adventurous characters.
The Cat Returns has a 90% critic rating and a 82% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes, a 3.5/5 on Letterboxd, a 7.3/10 on the International Movie Databse (IMDB), a 79.04% community approval rating on Kitsu, and a 4/5 on AnimePlanet.