The Adventures of André and Wally B.
The Adventures of André and Wally B. (or simply André & Wally B.) is a 1984 computer-animated short film that was groundbreaking by the standards of the time and helped spark the film industry's interest in computer animation. The film was produced by The Graphics Group, then a division of Lucasfilm, which was later renamed Pixar Animation Studios before being spun off as a separate company on February 3, 1986. The film was released on July 25, 1984, at SIGGRAPH in Minneapolis as unfinished, and then, August 17, 1984, at Toronto International Animation Festival as completed.
The short involves a boy named André awakening in a forest and being confronted by a pesky bee named Wally B. André tricks the bee into turning his back so that he can run away. Angered, Wally B. chases André and eventually catches up with him, and strikes with the stinger. A collision occurs off-screen and a dizzy Wally B. reappears with a bent stinger. Shortly, Wally B. gets hit by André's tossed hat as the last laugh.
Why It Rocks
- It was Pixar's (or The Graphics Group's) first-ever short film and first film, and yet it surprisingly still holds up to this day. It helped to start the studio on a high note.
- Simple but nice looking CGI animation, it was even groundbreaking for 1984 standards, the characters are very expressive and even have facial features, when, at the time, the CGI consisted of blocky models going up and down.
- André is a pretty funny character, as he runs away whenever Wally B is there and even has similarities with Disney's mascot Mickey Mouse himself.
- Great musical score.
- The plot is excellent, even for the first CGI short film.
- The humor is hilarious, as it uses the exact same humor as the original shorts from Disney.
- Although great at its time, the animation has aged pretty badly: it looks like a Playstation game.
- The fact that Wally B. has a stinger even though he is supposed to be a male bee is really confusing and pretty inaccurate.
- This is by far the shortest Pixar short, running at a total of 1 minute and 54 seconds.
- The original title was "My Breakfast with André," and it was about waking up with an android.
- The short was paired in select theatrical releases with Toy Story in 1995, but for some reason, it was not included on that film's home media releases.
- This film was not technically made by Pixar as it was created when they were known as the Lucasfilm Computer Division before the company got formed in 1986.
|Pixar Animation Studios|
Toy Story - A Bug's Life - Toy Story 2 - Monsters, Inc. - Finding Nemo - The Incredibles - Cars - Ratatouille - WALL-E - Up - Toy Story 3 - Cars 2 - Brave - Monsters University - Inside Out - The Good Dinosaur - Finding Dory - Cars 3 - Coco - Incredibles 2 - Toy Story 4 - Onward - Soul - Luca - Turning Red - Lightyear - Elemental - Elio - Inside Out 2
Theatrical short films:
The Adventures of André and Wally B. - Luxo Jr. - Red's Dream - Tin Toy - Knick Knack - Geri's Game - For the Birds - Boundin' - One Man Band - Lifted - Presto - Partly Cloudy - Day & Night - La Luna - The Blue Umbrella - Lava - Sanjay's Super Team - Piper - Lou - Bao
Purl - Smash and Grab - Kitbull - Float - Wind - Loop - Out - Burrow - Twenty Something - Nona
Mike's New Car - Jack-Jack Attack - Mr. Incredible and Pals - Mater and the Ghostlight - Your Friend the Rat - BURN-E - Dug's Special Mission - George and A.J. - The Legend of Mor'du - Party Central - Riley's First Date? - Marine Life Interviews - Miss Fritter's Racing Skoool - Auntie Edna - Lamp Life - 22 vs. Earth - Ciao Alberto
Mater's Tall Tales:
Rescue Squad Mater - Mater the Greater - El Materdor - Tokyo Mater - Unidentified Flying Mater - Monster Truck Mater - Heavy Metal Mater - Moon Mater - Mater Private Eye - Air Mater - Time Travel Mater
Tales from Radiator Springs:
Hiccups - Bugged - Spinning - The Radiator Springs 500½
Toy Story Toons:
Hawaiian Vacation - Small Fry - Partysaurus Rex
Forky Asks a Question:
What Is Money? - What Is a Friend? - What Is Art? - What Is Time - What Is Love? - What Is a Computer? - What Is a Leader? - What Is a Pet? - What Is Cheese? - What Is Reading?
To Fitness and Beyond - Unparalleled Parking - Dory Finding - Soul of the City - Fluffy Stuff with Ducky and Bunny: Love - Chore Day the Incredibles Way - A Day in the Life of the Dead - Fluffy Stuff with Ducky and Bunny: Three Heads - Dancing with the Cars - Cookie Num Num
Squirrel! - Puppies - Flowers - Smell - Science