Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby is a comedy sports film. It stars Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, Sacha Baron Cohen, Gary Cole, Michael Clarke Duncan, Leslie Bibb, Jane Lynch, and Amy Adams, and was directed by Adam McKay, and was released on August 4, 2006 by Columbia Pictures.
Star NASCAR driver Ricky Bobby (Will Ferrell) is living the good life, having a luxurious mansion, a hot wife (Leslie Bibb), and all the fast food he can eat. One day, however, a flamboyant French Formula One driver named Jean Girard (Sacha Baron Cohen) starts blindsiding him, and Ricky gets injured in a devastating wreck. After losing his wife and job to his best friend and fellow fool Cal Naughton, Jr. (John C. Reilly), Ricky must get the motivation he needs to get back on the track from his estranged father (Gary Cole), and beat Girard once and for all.
Why It Rocks
- Great acting. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly in particular have excellent chemistry.
- It uses the NASCAR premise nicely.
- Some funny moments, such as the prayer scene.
- Likable characters.
- Good soundtrack.
- Some actual NASCAR drivers make cameos, such as Dale Earnhardt, Jr., and so do broadcasters like Fox’s Mike Joy, Larry McReynolds and Darrell Waltrip, and NBC’s Bill Weber, Wally Dallenbach, Jr. and the late, great Benny Parsons.
- Cool stock car racing sequences.
- Seeing Will Ferrell as a NASCAR driver is amusing.
- Some padding.