Studio Ghibli is a Japanese animation studio known for their high-quality anime films. They were formed in Tokyo, Japan, on June 15, 1985, by Hayao Miyazaki, Toshio Suzuki, Isao Takahata, and Yasuyoshi Tokuma. Its current headquarters is Koganei, Tokyo, Japan. To this day they've made 21 films, with 20 of them receiving critical acclaim, and a 22nd set to come in 2020.
Why They Rock
- They're known for having incredible animation in their films.
- They're one of the few remaining studios which still religiously relies on traditional hand-drawn animation.
- However, their latest movie, Earwig and the Witch, is entirely CGI animated.
- They have, (or have had), some of the most well-known animators in all of Japan. The most famous is, of course, Hayao Miyazaki, but another one is Isao Takahata.
- Almost all of their films have received universal acclaim by both audiences and critics alike.
- They've been around since June 13, 1985, and are responsible for popularizing anime worldwide over the decades.
- Studio Ghibli is often compared to Disney, which shouldn't be too surprising, considering that Hayao Miyazaki, as well as many other Ghibli animators, are huge fans of Disney animated films.
- They've broken new grounds in terms of both animation and story many times over the years.
- Aside from films, they have also worked on animation for video games as well, such as the recent JRPG series Ni no Kuni.
- Studio Ghibli's primary creative mind, Hayao Miyazaki, has garnered a lot of controversy over the years.
- He's known for being godawful to work under. In fact, former employees have come out saying that he is a ruthless dictator when it comes to animation and a perfectionist at that.
- He has claimed to be retired several times over the years, only to mysteriously return to make another film.
- They made Tales from Earthsea as well as Earwig and the Witch, both are directed by Goro Miyazaki, Hayao Miyazaki's son, which are considered to be their weakest films.
- Despite how great they are, Studio Ghibli's films tend to be extremely preachy and in your face with its themes and messages. Both Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata are guilty of this. They could both do to learn how to express their messages more subtly.
Movies With Pages On This Wiki
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
- Castle in the Sky (1986)
- Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
- My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
- Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
- Only Yesterday (1991)
- Porco Rosso (1992)
- Ocean Waves (1993)
- Pom Poko (1994)
- Whisper of the Heart (1995)
- Princess Mononoke (1997)
- My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999)
- Spirited Away (2001)
- The Cat Returns (2002)
- Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
- Ponyo (2008)
- The Secret World of Arrietty (2010)
- From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
- The Wind Rises (2013)
- The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013)
- When Marnie Was There (2014)
- Isao Takahata, one of the three founders of the company, tragically passed away on April 5, 2018, at age 82, after 57 years in the anime industry. He died of lung cancer.