My Little Pony: Rainbow Roadtrip
My Little Pony: Rainbow Roadtrip (or stylized as RAiNBOW ROADTRiP) is a 2019 Irish-American television film based on the popular television series My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic created by Lauren Faust, which was developed as part of the 2010 re-launch of the My Little Pony franchise by Hasbro.
Rainbow Dash has been invited to the Rainbow Festival at Hope Hollow as a guest of honor. She and her friends hop on a balloon, but when they crashland, no one is there to greet them. The mystery grows at sunrise when the entire town and the ponies in it are revealed to have been drained of color. While Twilight Sparkle tries to find out what caused the town to fade, her friends help the local ponies plan a new rainbow festival, making friends along the way and restoring the hope missing from Hope Hollow.
Why It Rocks
- The idea of a story of the Mane Six trying to fix the town of the rainbow festival back to colorful from its sour grey festival town is pretty nice and fairly original, which it's a good follow-up to the first film.
- The animation from the first film is very beautiful as if the film was made by Walt Disney Animation Studios.
- Boulder Media worked on the animation instead of DHX Studios Vancouver for this special, but the animation is still really good no matter what.
- The voice acting is very well done, thanks to Tara Strong, Ashleigh Ball.
- It doesn't rehash anything from the first film, unlike the future third Spongebob film, and it did pretty well.
- Tons of great songs that it was composed by Daniel Ingram, who composed the previous film.
- The score of William Anderson is still very good in this special.
- There's a scene where Twilight Sparkle's wings turned into rainbow wings looks beautiful, It was also used in the commercial just months before the special was released.
- Much like the feature film, Starlight Glimmer and other supporting characters are either unimportant to the story or are not in the film.
The special was well received by the audience and the fans of the show It currently holds a 7.6/10 rating on IMDB.
- The special was originally planned as a sequel to My Little Pony: The Movie. However, when the film Was released, it failed at the box office. In response to the films failure, the sequel was canceled and its plot was retooled into this special.