Star Wars (later retitled Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope for the 1981 rerelease onward) is a 1977 American epic space opera film written and directed by George Lucas.
'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
The Imperial Forces under orders from cruel Darth Vader hold Princess Leia hostage, in their efforts to quell the rebellion against the Galactic Empire. Luke Skywalker, Ben Kenobi, and Han Solo, captain of the Millennium Falcon, work together with the companionable droid duo R2-D2 and C-3PO to rescue the beautiful princess, help the Rebel Alliance, and restore freedom and justice to the Galaxy.
Why It Rocks
- The special effects are visually stunning by late 70s standards.
- The action scenes are awesome for late 70s standards as well.
- The opening theme music is unforgettable.
- The actors, Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Alec Guinness each had great performances.
- It has a good mix of action, adventure, drama and humor.
- The concept of the movie is quite impressive.
- Obi-Wan's death and the destruction of Alderaan are very emotional and touching moments.
- Iconic dialogue such as "The force is strong with this one".
- Luke Skywalker's character development; he starts of as a whiny brat, but becomes more mature later in the film.
- In 1997, George Lucas created the Star Wars “Special Editions,” which included unnecessary additions to the original cuts of the movies, most notably an excess amount of CGI. Lucas kept making more changes to them until Disney bought out Lucasfilm in 2012. Since then, they never officially realeased the Unaltered Cuts of the films on DVD, Blu-Ray, or digitally, except for the bonus discs for a 2006 DVD release, which were sourced from 1993 Laserdisc masters.
- The ending is very abrupt.
Star Wars is hailed by critics and fans as one of the greatest science fiction movies of all time. It has a 93% critical rating and a 96% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes, a 90% critical rating and an 8.8/10 audience rating on Metacritic, a 4.3/5 on Letterboxd, and an 8.6/10 on IMDb.