Scary Movie is a 2000 American parody horror comedy film directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans. The film is a parody of the horror, slasher, and mystery film genres.
A year after disposing of the body of a man they accidentally killed, a group of dumb teenagers are stalked by a bumbling serial killer.
Why It Rocks
- Unlike other films by Seltzerberg, it is able to parody the horror and mystery genres without going off-topic.
- It's the only film by Seltzerberg and the Wayans Brothers that is actually good.
- Great performance by Anna Faris as Cindy Campbell.
- The opening scene that parodies Scream is amazing and sets the tone of the film.
- The film manages to parody the fact that Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer try to take themselves seriously, and mocks everything the films do.
- The stereotypes are very funny.
- The raunchy and offensive Seltzerberg-style jokes are very funny and don't rely much on references, unlike their recent films.
- Lots of enjoyable slapstick.
- A clever reference to the infamous film Kazaam.
- The scene where Cindy screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and then gets hit by a car.
- Run b**ch! Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!!
- Not for the easily offended.
- The film does rely much on toilet humor.
- The original name of Scream, which this movie parodies, was also called "Scary Movie" before it was retitled by the Weinstein Brothers just before filming was complete.