Only Yesterday is a Japanese anime drama coming of age film. It was written and directed by Isao Tahakata, musically composed by Katz Hoshi, filmed by Hisao Shiraishi, edited by Takeshi Seyama, produced by Toshio Suzuki and Studio Ghibli, and distributed by Toho.
Why It Rocks
- Excellent animation, very fluid, gentle, and calm. The hand drawn animation hasn't aged a day since its original 1991 release.
- Very appealing art style and character designs, very realistic.
- Good voice acting.
- Likable, complex characters.
- Interesting themes about reflection of the past and embracing the people that we become.
- A lot less preachy and in your face than Isao Takahata's more popular movie, Grave of the Fireflies.
- Probably one of the most human and relatable films that Studio Ghibli has ever created, as opposed to their more fantastical works such as Spirited Away.
Only Yesterday has a 100% critic score and a 86% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. The film holds a 7.7/10 on IMDB. It has a 3.9/5 on Letterboxd. On Metacritic, the film holds a 90/100.
- Only Yesterday - Movie Review
- Only Yesterday Review (with Special Guest Jonny Lobo)