My Neighbors the Yamadas
My Neighbors the Yamadas is a 1999 anime film. It was written and directed by Isao Takahata, musically composed by Akiko Kano, cinematography by Atsushi Okui, edited by Takeshi Seyama, distributed by Toho, produced by Seiichiro Ujiie, Takashi Shouji, Toshio Suzuki, and Studio Ghibli, starred Hayate Isobata, Masako Araki, Naomi Uno, and Touru Masuoka, and narrated by David Ogden Stiers in the English dub. It's based on a manga of the same name by Hisaichi Ishii.
Why It Rocks
- One of the best family dramas in anime.
- Simplistic animation which helps add to the charm of the film.
- Incredible, clever humor.
- An astonishing level of philosophy, it's very thought provoking.
- The movie is more subtle and laid back than most Studio Ghibli works.
- Great voice acting, although it's more decent voice in the English dub.
My Neighbors the Yamadas has a 75% critic rating and a 76% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes, a 3.5/5 on Letterboxd, a 7.3/10 on the International Movie Database (IMDB), a 72.9% community approval rating on Kitsu, and a 3.5/5 on AnimePlanet.
- My Neighbors the Yamadas Review