Monsters University is a 2013 American 3D computer-animated comedy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios for Walt Disney Pictures. It was directed by Dan Scanlon and produced by Kori Rae, with John Lasseter, Pete Docter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich as executive producers. The music for the film was composed by Randy Newman, marking his seventh collaboration with Pixar. It was the fourteenth feature film produced by Pixar, and is a prequel to 2001's Monsters, Inc., marking the first time Pixar has made a prequel film.
Ever since he was a kid monster, Mike Wazowski (Billy Crystal) has dreamed of becoming a Scarer. To make his dream a reality, he enrolls at Monsters University. During his first semester, he meets Sulley (John Goodman), a natural-born Scarer. Sulley and Mike engage in a fierce rivalry that ultimately gets them both kicked out of MU's elite Scare Program. To make things right, Mike and Sulley -- along with a bunch of misfit monsters -- will have to learn to work together.
Why It Rocks
- It explores the life of Mike and Sulley in college before they became friends.
- Great animation, once again providing creative monster designs.
- The humor is funny, with John Goodman and Billy Crystal once again doing a great job as Mike and Sully.
- Several callbacks to Monster's Inc, such as the Yeti appearing at the end of the movie as he used to work at Monster's Inc.
- The third act is exciting and interesting, and it is the point in the film where it truly becomes like something Pixar made.
- Some of the new characters can be really likeable.
- The musical score by Randy Newman is excellent.
- The college setting feels generic and uncreative.
- While the film can be funny, some of the jokes are hit or miss.
- It isn't all that impressive for Pixar standards.
- A plot hole occurs in that, while in Monsters Inc., Mike remarks to Sulley "You've been jealous of my good looks since the fourth grade, pal", but here they hadn't met until college. However, the director retconned this as an "an old monster expression" (here).
- Before the film was a thing, there was a video game known as Monsters Inc: Scream Team, for the PlayStation 1 and 2, as well as PC that served as a prequel where Mike and Sully are training to become scarers. This video game prequel is considered non-canon, due to this movie's release. However, it is possible that this game takes place sometime after University and before the first film.
- The film was originally a sequel called Monsters Inc 2: Lost In Scaradise, and it was to be made by Circle 7 animation as one of the planned sequels for some of Pixar's previous works, along with Finding Nemo 2 (Which would become Finding Dory) and Toy Story 3 (Which actually happened in 2010, but it was made by Pixar). The film would involve Mike and Sulley visiting the human world to give Boo a birthday present, only to find that she had moved. After getting trapped in the human world, Mike and Sulley split up after disagreeing on what to do.