Man Bites Dog
𝗪𝗔𝗥𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗚! 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗰𝗹𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗡𝗦𝗙𝗪!
This article may contain content unsuitable for readers under eighteen years or older.
WARNING! This article is NSFL!
This article may contain content that is disturbing, including themes of rape, murder, abuse, drugging, crime, disaster, tragedy, etc.
Man Bites Dog also known in French as C'est arrivé près de chez vous (It's French Title translated into English as "It Happened Near Your Home") is a 1992 Belgian black comedy crime mockumentary written, produced and directed by Rémy Belvaux, André Bonzel and Benoît Poelvoorde, who are also the film's co-editor, cinematographer and lead actor respectively.
Man Bites Dog follows a murderer named Ben who holds fort at length to whatever comes to mind. A documentary crew later joins him on his sadistic adventures who later introduces them to his family. Ben and the crew film eachother for their own Fly on the wall documentary and when Ben is finished with his murders, Ben disposes any body he's taken into canals and quarries. Ben and the Crew aren't very wealthy so they come up with cost effective ways to murder people who come his way with Women, Illegal Immigrants and Postmen being his favorite targets. Unfortunately for Ben, Turn of events will later find him in the perception of his life crumbling around him.
Why It Rocks
- This movie has a charming protagonist and despite being a cold-blooded killer looks like a fun person to hang around because of his charismatic attitude and his interests in things.
- The concept for the film was very unique because it has never been done before. Like This Is Spinal Tap, It further helped continue to legacy of mockumentaries.
- The acting is great, especially for Benoît Poelvoorde, Valérie Parent, Rémy Belvaux, and André Bonzel.
- Great cinematography.
- Man Bites Dog does not hold back on satirical depictions on serial killers.
- Outstanding performances for Benoît Poelvoorde.
- Innovative camera movements and sound effects.
- The movie's choice of Black and White makes this movie feel like a found-footage documentary.
- The movie is well-paced.
- This film shows that you even make a really good film on such a low budget and look more realistic than most movies being made nowadays. (The budget in question is around 33,000 USD and grossed nearly 10 times as much in the Box Office).
- Although there are no actual flaws in the movie but this movie can offend and disturb many people.
Man Bites Dog has been received well by both critics and audiences and has become a cult classic. Man Bites Dog received the André Cavens Award for Best Film by the Belgian Film Critics Association (UCC). Man Bites Dog holds a 74% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and a 7.5/10 rating on IMDB.
- Due to its low budget, the project had to be postponed several times until the crew was able to receive funds.