Logan is a post-apocalyptic dystopian superhero drama film directed by James Mangold and inspired by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven's 2008 comic book Old Man Logan. It is the final movie in 20th Century Fox's X-Men series, as the rights to the franchise were purchased by Disney. It's also the final movie of the franchise in chronological order.
It's later established that the universe this movie takes place in is Earth-17315.
Why It Rocks
- Unlike most superhero movies, which are commonly in the action-comedy genre, Logan is a drama about accepting one's death that uses superheroes to deliver its message.
- Wolverine is finally shown in all his berserker glory.
- X-23 is a badass character helped by Dafne Keen's quiet and calm, yet fierce performance.
- Despite the film's content, it isn't completely about bloodshed and swearing. The film actually has positive messages about family and life such as the dinner scene, it also has Christian elements included (such as Eden's name and the Munson family).
- Has a pretty meta moment where Logan looks at a fictional X-Men comic that has him, Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Colossus and Professor X and says that it's "Ice cream for bedwetters".
- A grand finale to two of superhero cinema's greatest characters: Wolverine and Charles "Professor X" Xavier.
- Donald Pierce is a thoroughly despicable villain.
- Great soundtrack, featuring Johnny Cash's "The Man Comes Around" and his cover of "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails.
- Amazing special effects.
The film was released on March 3, 2017 and received critical acclaim from both critics and audiences. It is considered by many to be the best X-Men movie and one of the greatest superhero movies of all time, with many favorably comparing it to The Dark Knight.