How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World is a 2019 American computer-animated action fantasy film loosely based on the book series of the same name by Cressida Cowell, produced by DreamWorks Animation and distributed by Universal Pictures. It is the sequel to How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) and the final installment in the How to Train Your Dragon film trilogy. Written and directed by Dean DeBlois, the film stars the voices of Jay Baruchel, America Ferrera, Cate Blanchett, Craig Ferguson, and F. Murray Abraham. The film's plot follows Hiccup seeking a dragon utopia called "The Hidden World" while coming to terms with Toothless' new bond with a female Light Fury.
Why It Rocks
- The animation has improved on the other two, it is gorgeous to look at.
- Hiccup going through his trials as chief, not having everything figured out was engaging to watch
- The scene where Toothless tries to impress the Light Fury was hilarious and has spawned a meme.
- A lot of emotion to the story.
- The score is beautiful.
- The Toddler Hiccup and Stoick flashbacks were great.
- It fleshes out Gobber's sexuality a bit more.
- The New Dragons are creative.
- Toothless has an arc on his own this time.
- The ending was extremely emotionally satisfying.
- Some of the side characters are either sidelined or just there to crack jokes.
- Grimmel isn't a fleshed out villain. His motivations might work on paper, but they're not executed well.
- A few things in the plot and pacing felt a little bit glossed over and can distract some people.
- Despite the Hidden World being the main focus, it doesn't get shown a lot in the movie.