Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation is a 2018 American 3D computer animated comedy film directed by Genndy Tartakovsky and written by Micheal McCullers. It is the third installment in the Hotel Transylvania franchise and is the sequel to Hotel Transylvania 2.
On a luxury monster cruise ship, Dracula (Adam Sandler) meets Ericka (Kathryn Hahn), the captain of the ship, who belongs to the Van Helsing family that wants to destroy the entire monster race.
Why It Rocks
- The animation is a huge upgrade, with the movements being more expressive and overall being brighter and more colourful than the last 2 films.
- The soundtrack is still catchy and great.
- Decent humor.
- The voice acting is still amazing with all the cast members returning from the last film.
- Decent character development with Ericka as she at first wants to kill Dracula due to him being a monster, but later bonds with him and treats him equally to humans and saves his life after he helps her get the relic.
- The characters are still likable. There are also some nice interactions between them.
- Speaking of the characters, Dracula has improved in this movie as some could debate that he was flanderized in the second film for the things he did to Dennis (such as chucking him off a tower).
- Abraham Van Helsing is a very intimidating villain and his plan is really funny.
- Excellent climax with Johnny's happy music vs. Van Helsing's evil music to control the Kraken.
- The idea of a monster cruise ship, while silly, is an interesting concept and is executed rather well.
- Misleading title: Despite that the film has "Hotel Transylvania" in its title like the previous two, the story doesn't actually take place at the hotel, which only appears at the beginning and at the end, instead taking place in a cruise.
- The story can become predictable.
- The film uses some clichés.
- The plot is admittedly a slight rehash of the first film with the story of a vampire falling in love with a human.
- Depending on your point of view, the animation can feel way too wacky and over the top. Which is admittedly a problem with modern computer animation.
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation received mixed-to-positive reviews from critics and audiences. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film received a rating of 62% based on 117 reviews with an average rating of 5.46. The site's consensus states: "Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation delivers exactly what fans will expect - which means another 97 agreeably lightweight minutes of fast-paced gags and colorful animation".