Hotel Transylvania is a 2012 American 3D computer-animated comedy film produced by Sony Pictures Animation and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing. It was directed by Genndy Tartakovsky and produced by Michelle Murdocca, and stars the voices of Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg, Selena Gomez, Kevin James, Fran Drescher, Steve Buscemi, Molly Shannon, David Spade, and CeeLo Green.
When monsters want to get away from it all, they go to Count Dracula's (Adam Sandler) Hotel Transylvania, a lavish resort where they can be themselves without humans around to bother them. On one special weekend, Dracula invites creatures like the Invisible Man, the Mummy and others to celebrate the 118th birthday of his daughter, Mavis (Selena Gomez). However, an unforeseen complication unfolds when an ordinary human unwittingly crashes the party and falls in love with Mavis.
Why It Rocks
- A concept about a hotel for monsters is unique and interesting.
- Decent plot.
- Great humour.
- Nice animation which captures the look of Looney Tunes-esque cartoons.
- Great voice acting. The film also has an ensemble cast including Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg, Selena Gomez, Kevin James, Fran Drescher, Steve Buscemi, Molly Shannon, David Spade, and CeeLo Green.
- Likable and entertaining characters, such as Dracula, Mavis Dracula, Jonathan and more.
- Dracula's backstory was emotional.
- Adam Sandler was great and very funny as Dracula.
- Some funny characters.
- It was directed by Genndy Tartakovsky, the creator of Cartoon Network's Samurai Jack, Dexter's Laboratory, and Sym-Bionic Titan.
- The soundtrack is really good.
- The word "zing" used as a romantic term is quite clever and also cool.
- Funny quotes such as "I do not say 'bleh, bleh, bleh'!".
- Because of it's success, it spawned two sequels and also a TV series on Disney Channel.
- Some toilet humour.
- Quasimodo Wilson, the film's main antagonist, is a predictable villain.
- Some annoying characters.
- The third film was mediocre, and it didn't feel like it was needed on either Awful or Greatest Movies Wiki.
- The film uses some movie clichés.
Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 45% of critics gave the film positive reviews; the average rating is 5.3/10, based on 140 reviews. The site's critical consensus reads: "Hotel Transylvania's buoyant, giddy tone may please children, but it might be a little too loud and thinly-scripted for older audiences." Another review aggregate, Metacritic, calculated an average score of 47 out of 100 based on 32 reviews. CinemaScore polls conducted during the opening weekend revealed that the average grade moviegoers gave Hotel Transylvania was an A- on an A+ to F scale.