Early Man is a 2018 American-British stop-motion adventure-comedy film directed by Nick Park, written by Mark Burton and James Higginson.
Set at the dawn of time, when prehistoric creatures and woolly mammoths roamed the earth, Early Man tells the story of Dug, along with sidekick Hognob as they unite his tribe against a mighty enemy Lord Nooth and his Bronze Age City to save their home.
Why It Rocks
- Nice and smooth stop-motion animation, as expected from Aardman.
- Likable characters.
- Lord Nooth is a really entertaining villain.
- A very creative and clever plot, a group of cavemen work together to play soccer and get their valley back.
- While it’s not 100% true to the Stone Age or Bronze Age, it still has very nice moments where it seems like it’s from the Bronze and Stone Age-era.
- Great humor.
- Decent dialogue and writing.
- The movie was clearly rushed, as it is way too short and the story goes by way too fast. It's probably the fast pacing that can get you.
- Several clichés here and there.
- It is considered to be Aardman’s weakest title.