DreamWorks Animation (or simply DreamWorks) is an American animation studio that is a subsidiary of Universal Pictures, a division of Comcast though its wholly owned subsidiary of NBCUniversal. It is based in Glendale, California and produces animated films, television programs and online virtual games. The studio has currently released a total of 35 feature films.
Why They Rock
- They're probably best known for creating computer animated films that have become franchises such as Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon.
- Great voice acting in their films.
- Their films have some hilarious, groundbreaking and/or heartwarming moments.
- They did a great job creating Antz, which was DreamWorks' first feature film, as well as the third fully-CGI animated film ever made (after Toy Story and Cassiopeia). It was then followed by The Prince of Egypt.
- Not only have they created computer animated films, they've also created traditionally animated films and stop-motion co-productions with Aardman Animations.
- While the logo has the same thing with DreamWorks Pictures SKG, it switched to the logo of DreamWorks Animation, which was beautiful and realistic.
- They've spawned many television shows based on their films as well as some fantastic original shows such as Harvey Girls Forever!, the Tales of Arcadia franchise, Voltron: Legendary Defender, She-Ra and The Princesses of Power, and Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts.
- It has terrifically awesome music scores from great composers such as Hans Zimmer.
- Most of the villains are entertaining and fun.
- Many of them spawned videogames based on their films that is really good, if not, decent.
- While most of their films are very good, others are really bad or at the very least mediocre, such as Shark Tale, Shrek the Third, Home, The Boss Baby, and Abominable.
- Some of their films have bombed at the box office especially throughout most of the 2010s.
Movies with their own Pages
- Antz (1998)
- The Prince of Egypt (1998)
- The Road to El Dorado (2000)
- Chicken Run (2000)
- Shrek (2001)
- Shrek 2 (2004)
- Madagascar (2005)
- Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005)
- Over the Hedge (2006)
- Flushed Away (2006)
- Bee Movie (2007)
- Kung Fu Panda (2008)
- Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008)
- Monsters Vs. Aliens (2009)
- How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
- Shrek Forever After: The Final Chapter (2010)
- Megamind (2010)
- Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011)
- Puss in Boots (2011)
- Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (2012)
- Rise of the Guardians (2012)
- The Croods (2013)
- Turbo (2013)
- Mr. Peabody & Sherman (2014)
- How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014)
- Penguins of Madagascar (2014)
- Kung Fu Panda 3 (2016)
- Trolls (2016)
- Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie (2017)
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019)
- Trolls World Tour (2020)
- The animation studio was distributed by the main studio, DreamWorks Pictures from 1998 to 2005, Paramount Pictures from 2006 to 2012, 20th Century Fox from 2013 to 2017, and Universal Pictures since 2017.
- Jeffrey Katzenberg worked for Walt Disney Studios as a chairman before he became the co-founder and CEO of DreamWorks.