Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who (2008)
Dr. Seuss's Horton Hears a Who is a 2008 computer-animated family comedy film by Blue Sky Studios and stars Jim Carrey and Steve Carell.
Horton the Elephant (Jim Carrey) hears a voice in a speck of dust on a clover that turns out to be the voice of the mayor of Whoville (Steve Carell). Horton tries to put the clover to safe place, but Sour Kangaroo (Carol Burnett) tries to stop him.
Why It Rocks
- While the live-action Dr. Seuss movies aren't very faithful to the books and had too much suggestive humor for kids, this one is rather faithful to the source material and very clean for families to enjoy.
- Excellent voice work. Notably from Jim Carrey and Steve Carell.
- The bond with Horton and the mayor is relatable.
- Very cartoonish and fluent animation that fits to Dr. Seuss tone very well.
- The Sour Kangaroo is an entertaining antagonist and her son is much nicer.
- The isolation of the Sour Kangaroo is absolutely satisfyingly justified.
- Hilarious cameos from Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, Isla Fisher and Jaime Pressly.
- Slapstick that actually works.
- The Whos are given more to do than in the source material, especially Jojo ￼who is now the only son of the Mayor.
- The "Light As A Feather" scene has some clever juxtaposting with Horton and the Mayor.
- Some flat jokes, such as twerking in one scene, and the cringeworthy anime sequence.