Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who
Dr. Seuss's Horton Hears a Who is a 2008 computer-animated family comedy film by Blue Sky Studios and stars Jim Carrey and Steve Carell.
Horton the Elephant (Jim Carrey) hears a voice in a speck of dust on a clover that turns out to be the voice of the mayor of Whoville (Steve Carell). Horton tries to put the clover to safe place, but Sour Kangaroo (Carol Burnett) tries to stop him.
Why It Rocks
- While the live-action Dr. Seuss movies aren't very faithful to the books and had too much suggestive humor for kids, this animated movie is rather faithful to the source material and very clean for families to enjoy.
- It has very excellent vocal performances. Notably from Jim Carrey and Steve Carell.
- The bond with Horton and the mayor is quite relatable.
- It has very cartoonish and fluent animation that fits to Dr. Seuss tone very well.
- The Sour Kangaroo is an entertaining and intimidating antagonist and her son is much nicer.
- The isolation of the Sour Kangaroo is absolutely satisfyingly justified.
- Hilarious cameos from Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, Isla Fisher and Jaime Pressly.
- Hilarious slapstick that actually works.
- The Whos are given more to do than in the source material, especially Jojo ￼who is now the only son of the Mayor.
- The "Light As A Feather" scene has some clever juxtaposting with Horton and the Mayor.
- It has some pretty flat jokes, such as twerking in one scene.
- The cringeworthy anime sequence, which hasn't aged well, not even for 2008 standards.