Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
His genius finally recognized by his idol Chester V, inventor Flint Lockwood (Bill Hader) gets to join Chester's company, where he can work full-time on technologies to help mankind. However, Flint soon discovers that his most-famous machine, which turns water into food, is still operating but now creates animal/vegetable hybrids. With the fate of humanity in Flint's hands, he and his friends set out to save the world from tacodiles, shrimpanzees and other deliciously dangerous creatures.
Why It Rocks
- It is a decent follow up to the first film.
- Even without Phil Lord and Chris Miller, Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn still did great jobs as the new directors.
- Great animation that is a step up from the first film.
- The voice acting is still great.
- While pointless, the environmental message is used pretty well.
- Decent to good character designs.
- The underpants lab scene is pretty memorable.
- Benjamin Bratt's character, Manny the cameraman gets more lines and has a larger role this time around.
- The foodimals are an excellent new addition to the movie, including Barry.
- Chester V, while he's not the best twist villain, does get the twist out of the way during the first 8 minutes and not at the last 10 minutes, which saves us a very poor ending.
- Kristen Schaal's character, Barb, is a very cute new addition, and is very funny too.
- The soundtrack is solid once again.
- The humor, while not as great in the first film, is spot on for the most part.
- All the characters are still charming and hilarious as they were in the first film.
- The film does a great take on monster films like Jurassic Park.
- Flint has been dumbed down in this movie, to where he's easily manipulated and is incredibly naive. Plus, there are two scenes where he screams for nearly ten seconds long.
- But still, Flint is still a laughingstock from the first film.
- Terry Crews, while he does a good job as Earl and is by no means bad, is considered to be inferior to Mr.T.
- Flint's father doesn't appear as much as he did in the first film, and doesn't have a lot to do.
- A few elements seem rehashed from the first film, such as about 35% of the plot and the villain, Chester V, is considered to be the same as Mayor Shelbourne from the first movie, but he is indeed rubbish who had no buildup for his villainy and we never learned how.
- Speaking about Chester V, he seems like a ripoff of Charles F. Muntz from Up, as both appear like the protagonist's childhood idol only to be revealed as the villain.
- It never explains how the FLDSMDFR survived the explosion, as it is seemingly destroyed in the first movie.
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 received mixed to positive reviews from critics and audiences, being deemed inferior to its predecessor. On review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 71%, based on 120 reviews, with an average rating of 6.4/10. The site's consensus reads: "While not as clever or inventive as its predecessor, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 compensates with enough dazzling visuals to keep younger viewers entertained.". Another aggregator, Metacritic, gave the film a score of 59 out of 100, based on 31 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".