Batman Returns is a 1992 superhero film starring Michael Keaton, Danny DeVito, Michael Gough, Christopher Walken and Michelle Pfeiffer. It is a sequel to the 1989 hit film Batman. The film was directed by Tim Burton.
Sometime after the events of the first film, Bruce Wayne/Batman finds out about a criminal named Oswald Cobblepot (Danny DeVito), known by many people as "The Penguin" due to his short stature. Bruce also meets up with a woman named Selina Kyle, better known by most residents of Gotham City as "Catwoman" due to her outfit.
Why It Rocks
- Michael Keaton returns as the title character.
- Danny DeVito was a great choice to play The Penguin.
- Michelle Pfeiffer made an excellent Catwoman.
- The film's dark tone works well.
- The villains are faithful to the source material.
- Tim Burton returns as director and his direction is sturdy as ever compared to its predecessor, due to him getting more creative control from Warner Bros.
- Danny Elfman's amazing score is used again.
- Great production design, especially Catwoman's apartment and The Penguin's lair.
- The Penguin's minions are very diverse as well, as the penguins depicted are a mix of animatronics, puppetry, actors in costumes, and even real ones.
- The idea of bombs strapped to penguins is both interesting and creative.
- Despite its depressing atmosphere, it's very appropriate and also because it doesn't take itself too seriously.
Batman Returns received mostly positive reviews from critics and audiences. The film currently holds an 81% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes with an average of 6.7 out of 10 and a critic consensus that reads "Director Tim Burton's dark, brooding atmosphere, Michael Keaton's work as the tormented hero, and the flawless casting of Danny DeVito as The Penguin and Christopher Walken as, well, Christopher Walken make the sequel better than the first." Despite the positive reception from critics and audiences, the film was met with criticism from moral guardians for its darker and more violent tone.
Batman Returns went straight to #1 on its opening weekend, grossing $45,687,711 domestically. It would later make a total domestic gross of $162,831,698. In foreign countries, it grossed $103,990,656. Overall, Batman Returns made $266,822,354 against its $80 million budget.
Awards and nominations
Batman Returns was nominated for 2 Academy Awards, including Best Visual Effects. It did, however, manage to win a BMI Film & TV Award for Best Music.