Aliens is a 1986 science fiction action horror movie. It was directed and written by James Cameron, conceived by James Cameron, David Giler, and Walter Hill, filmed by Adrian Briddle, edited by Ray Lovejoy, produced by Gale Ann Hurd and Brandywine Productions, starred Sigourney Weaver, and distributed by 20th Century Fox.
57 years after the events of the first film, Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) is woken up from her cryosleep and finds out that LV-426, where she and the Nostromo crew makes contact with the Alien that slaughtered them, has been colonized. However, contact with the colony has been lost, and she has been asked to accompany a squad of Colonial Marines to investigate what happened. But even with their heavy firepower, the Colonial Marines may not be ready to face the horrors that await them...
Why It Rocks
- Incredibly intense.
- Just like the first movie, Ripley is a really likable character.
- The film has a rollercoaster ride of violence.
- Excellent practical effects for the Xenomorphs in the movie.
- Great soundtrack.
- Good acting.
- Aliens packs much more of a visceral punch than the first Alien movie.
- Amazing story.
- Helped popularize the space marine trope in later science-fiction media, along with the usage of kinetic weapons in the genre.
- Sigourney Weaver is an absolute badass.
- Jeanette Goldstein was awesome as Vasquez.
Like Alien, the movie is a commercial success, grossing anywhere between $131 million to $183 million against an $18 million budget.
The film has a 98% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and Roger Ebert gave it 3.5 out of 4 stars. It is also considered by some to be better than the first film. The film won the Saturn Awards for Science Fiction Film, Best Actress for Sigourney Weaver, Best Director and Best Writing for James Cameron, among many others, as well as two Academy Awards: Best Sound Editing for Don Sharpe and Best Visual Effects for Robert Skotak, Stan Winston, John Richardson and Suzanne Benson.
- ALIEN series review - Monster Madness 2013
- Aliens - Movie Review