Airplane! is a 1980 comedy film directed by Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, and Jerry Zucker, and was written by the same people.
When one of the in-flight meals makes the passengers and two of the pilots sick, a doctor discovers it has food poisoning, and it's up to traumatized war veteran Ted to land the plane.
Why it Rocks
- Robert Hays and Julie Hagerty's performances were great. Same can be said for everyone else.
- Otto was a hilarious comic-relief character.
- It is incredibly funny, with scenes like when Otto gets inflated or what he says.
- Really good plot, which was well-thought-out.
- Great soundtrack, with songs like Stayin' Alive
- The concept of a traumatized war veteran attempting to land a plane after an in-flight meal makes everyone sick was an incredible concept.
- The writing is really good.
- "I am serious. And don't call me Shirley."
- Many slapstick gags that still endure to this day.
Airplane! was acclaimed by both critics and audiences, and is widely considered one of the best films about planes. It currently holds a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes from critics and 89% from the audience. It currently holds a 7.7 on IMDB.
- Garfield creator Jim Davis says this is one of his favorite movies.