A Star is Born (2018)
A Star Is Born is a 2018 American musical romantic drama film produced and directed by Bradley Cooper and written by Eric Roth, Cooper and Will Fetters. A remake of the 1937 film of the same name, it stars Cooper, Lady Gaga, Dave Chappelle, Andrew Dice Clay, and Sam Elliott, and follows a hard-drinking musician who discovers and falls in love with a young singer. It marks the fourth remake of the original 1937 film, after the 1954 musical and the 1976 musical.
Hard-drinking country music star Jackson Maine discovers -- and falls in love with -- a struggling but talented singer named Ally. As her career quickly takes off, Jackson starts to realize that his best days may be behind him.
Why It Rocks
- It is actually one of those remakes that are considered to be superior to the original.
- Everybody gives fantastic performances, even Lady Gaga for her first film in acting.
- Spectacular visuals.
- It's amazing to see Bradley Cooper sing, and surprisingly, he does it pretty well.
- Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga have great chemistry.
- Heartbreaking and emotional ending.
- Beautiful cinematography.
- Memorable and awesome songs, especially "Shallow"
- Amazing writing.
- The opening feels very rushed.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, A Star Is Born holds an approval rating of 89% based on 485 reviews, with an average rating of 8.04/10, and is the most reviewed film on the site. The website's critical consensus reads, "With appealing leads, deft direction, and an affecting love story, A Star Is Born is a remake done right—and a reminder that some stories can be just as effective in the retelling."
A Star Is Born grossed $215.3 million in the United States and Canada, and $218.9 million in other territories, for a total worldwide gross of $434.2 million, against a production budget of $36 million. Deadline Hollywood calculated the net profit of the film to be $178.1 million, when factoring together all expenses and revenues, making it the tenth most profitable release of 2018.