5 Centimeters Per Second
5 Centimeters Per Second is a drama, romance, tragedy, coming of age, Japanese anime movie. It was written, directed, and produced by Makoto Shinkai, musically composed by Tenmon, and produced by CoMix Wave Inc. After the movie Makoto Shinkai wrote a novel adaptation which was released on November 19, 2007, and a manga series which was released from July 2010 to June 2011 and lasted for 2 volumes in total.
Why It Rocks
- Great voice acting in both sub and dub.
- Absolutely beautiful art and animation. This movie has the fan nickname "5 anime wallpapers per second" becuase of how beautiful literally every single scene is and how they all could be used as wallpapers.
- Good pacing.
- Like many of Makoto Shinkai's films 5 Centimeters Per Second has an incredibly emotionally engaging story about two lovers whose relationship is splintered by distance.
- Amazing soundtrack.
- Both of the lead characters are incredibly likable and sympathetic. You're sad that they grow apart due to being a part for so long, but you're glad that they're able to find hapiness and move on, which makes the ending of the movie bittersweet.
- Very appealing art style and character designs.
5 Centimeters Per Second has a 88% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes, (no tomato meter available), a 3.6/5 on Letterboxd, a 7.7/10 on the International Movie Database (IMDB), a 7.94/10 on MyAnimeList, a 79.25% community approval rating on Kitsu, and a 4/5 on AnimePlanet.